What Are Your Weaknesses?
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Many people focus on their weaknesses, rather than their strengths. I believe this is not the best way to live your life – that is, to stay focused on your weaknesses. I do believe you should be aware of your weaknesses. This allows you to have options, which I will cover in this article.
The Benefits of Becoming Aware Of Your Weaknesses
If you are aware of your weaknesses, you will be able to:
- Make better choices in your life
- Avoid situations that can be uncomfortable (or even tragic)
- Know your limitations
Everyone Has Weaknesses
Every person on earth has weaknesses; it’s nothing to be ashamed of. The greatest people that ever lived had them, and future generations will have them. By knowing what to do about your weaknesses, you are in a better position than someone who doesn’t take action to deal with their weakness.
Dealing With Your Weaknesses
To become aware of your weaknesses, try the following:
Make a list of all the things you know you don’t do well
- Think of all the things you failed at in life
- Think of the troubles that keep reoccurring
- Think of all the things you try to avoid because you dread it
- Ask friends, relatives, colleagues, and teachers to help you identify your weaknesses.
Once you complete these activities, you will know the areas where you have weaknesses.
Options For Dealing With Your Weaknesses
Now that you have your list and know your weaknesses, you have options.
1. You can do nothing, which is not a bad thing. You have already benefited from making the list. You are aware of your weaknesses, so you can avoid situations that require skills you are not strong in.
2. You can get help with your weak points when needed. For example, I was told once “You have an impeccable writing style”. Yes, I can write. I am an author. But, if I publish anything without an editor, I’m in trouble. Yes, writing is one of my strengths, but when it comes to spelling, grammar and errors, I have a weakness. So, I always use an editor before publishing any of my work. I could even use an editor when I send an email. I know my weakness and I have found a way to deal with it.
3. You can improve your weakness. A lot of people take this approach, and it’s a good one at times. Here’s how I see it. If the issue is really important to you, then yes, by all means, work on improving your weakness. If it is something that will take a lot of effort and time, and will not really enhance your life, then I suggest getting help, as I mentioned in the example above. You can do what you do best, and allow others to do what they do best.
Whatever you decide is up to you. It’s my opinion that it is good to know your weaknesses, but more important to focus on your strengths!
That’s the Way I See It!